Hey there friends! Time for our first tutorial, and boy are we easing into this one. I’ve picked what is probably the easiest possible thing you can do to an RX3. This tutorial is more of an excuse to show what the bike looks like without the top box installed. On the ChinaRiders forums this seems to be a common question, especially from prospective buyers who want to know before they buy. So of course I’ll be including pictures of that.
My initial thought for taking it off was I wanted to reduce weight & drag, as well as give the bike a sleeker look. After a hundred miles or so down the Pacific Coast Highway I can say it made no noticeable difference. What will make a noticeable difference is changing your sprockets, but I’ll get into that in another post.
- Ratchet wrench
- 8mm and 10mm sockets
- (Note: There are no written torque values available for this install as far as I have been able to find. It isn’t in the service manual and I haven’t been able to find them online either.)
- 4mm Allen wrench
HERE’S ALL THE PARTS & HARDWARE YOU’LL NEED
- The Trunk (Complete kit in link)
- The foam liner
- Top Box Support Plate (1)
- Trunk Connecting Plate Bushing (1)
- Screws (2): M6X20
- Truss Head Bolts (2): M6x35
- Allen Head Bolts (3): 4mm
- Flang Bolt (1): M8X85
INSTALL THE TOP BOX CONNECTING PLATE
- Make sure you install the connecting plate bushing underneath the plate before you start tightening any fasteners.
- Also make sure you get all the bolts lined up and at least hand tightened before you wrench on anything. If you tighten down the bolts closest to the seat before you install the Allen head bolts, the holes may not line up with the threaded ports underneath.
INSTALL THE TOP BOX USING THE 3 ALLEN BOLTS & WASHERS
- Tighten these bolts down because if they are loose the box will rattle. However, do not over tighten them or you will break the bolts. It might be a good Idea to apply some adhesive to these if you don’t plan on removing the box or upgrade them.
TOP BOX REMOVAL
- To remove the top box, you litterally need to follow this guide exactly…in reverse. Some of you think I’m being sarcastic but I’m being honest!
HERE IS THE FINAL PRODUCT
- Fine job friends! Time to grab a beer and relax.
Do you guys have any questions or comments about this? Hit me up at the contact link at the top of the page or leave me a comment. Again, 99% of you could all do this without a tutorial, but I wanted to put it out there anyway. Thanks for dropping by and stay safe on the road friends!